His artistic process

“Hello! I am an art student, currently studying at Lasalle College of the Arts. While I was doing some research for inspiration for my final-year project, I stumbled across this blog and have been enamoured with your relief paintings ever since. I’m interested to know what your work process encompasses, and how you manage to create the elevation prominent in these relief paintings.
- Susan Green”

Unfortunately, this comment was lost to my father and he is no longer around to answer it. However, for those that are interested, I will be explaining (to the best of my ability) the work process of my father in creating his works.

My father was best known for his 2-dimensional Wave series multihued paintings, which presented a bright wash of colours and transported viewers into a transcendental state of colour euphoria. However, these paintings were not created on a whim of artistic impulsivity, but were diligently and meticulously planned. My father made miniature paintings on which he would test and select the exact colours to use prior to executing the bigger-scaled versions. This resulted in works that appear impeccably executed, with a highly sophisticated finish. Below are two of his sketches, which give an insight to his meticulous process.


 Untitled (Sketch 3), pencil on paper


Sketch for 'inverted Y' painting



Addressing the commenter’s interest in my father’s relief paintings, he accomplished the transition from 2-dimensionality to the 3-dimensional by means of inserting shaped aluminium armature under the canvas that was to be stretched over this support, in order to provide a new dimension. Below are a few photographs which depict this process:

Side view construction of his Wave paintings


Back view of Wave relief painting

Side view of Wave relief painting