Venture into Abstract Paintings

Squatri Purma, Acrylic on canvas, 1970
“Shaped Canvas” (Kite) series

Since my return from Britain, I have deviated from the traditional Nanyang ideologies of which I had been trained in. Further studies in Britain have exposed me to an entirely new world of aesthetics that are rooted in Abstract Expressionism.

The first works that depict this are the works in my ‘Kite’ (or Shaped Canvas) series, where I have abandoned the use of the traditional rectangular format of canvas in favour of more unorthodox configurations. (Did you guess it from my previous post?)

My focus in doing this is to remove the association of paintings to doorways to other worlds. As seen from the landscape paintings emblematic of pioneer Nanyang artists, or the skillful depictions of the natural world from the Old Masters, paintings traditionally bear much resemblance to the world we exist in. The naturalistic depiction of scenes in these paintings then influences the viewer to believe he could simply step into these paintings and be part of the image. I wish to eradicate this notion with the Kite series.

The shaped canvas skews our perceptions of the image, with the canvas nostalgic of physical objects that exist in our world. The painting then exists as an item, rather than a pathway to another dimension, retaining the viewer in this world.


Furthermore, my delving into precision-based geometric shapes has removed all notion of substantial depth behind the canvas. In Squatri Purma, I have employed strips of solid colour, in varying tones of pink, juxtaposing and setting them against one another to form rotated squares, delineated from each other. These squares contain within them, smaller squares, created by the directional change of these horizontal strips of solid colour. The prevalent horizontal directing strips of delineated colours create a sense of movement and rhythm across the plane surface of the canvas, implying minimal depth into the plane. The canvas then exists in harmony with the wall it is displayed on, wall and cavas becoming one flat surface, preventing the viewer from entering the depth of the painting.